Thick, rich, indulgent, and creamy, a little bit goes a long way in this vegan nog recipe. It is a cross between the best tasting smoothie I’ve ever tried and the egg nog I used to drink as a child. I’ll take it!
Adapted from PPK.
Yield: 6 cups
- 1/2 large avocado, pitted and frozen
- 1 large banana, peeled and frozen
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (400ml), chilled in fridge
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1/4 of a fresh lemon)
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1-3 tsp ground nutmeg (to taste, add gradually)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8th tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup Bourbon (optional), to taste
Directions: Pit and freeze the 1/2 of an avocado and peel and freeze the large banana prior to making this recipe. Add the liquid ingredients into a blender and blend for about 10 seconds to mix. Now add in your frozen and dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust spices and liquids if necessary. You can adapt it to how you’d like it! Makes 6 cups. Serve with a cinnamon stick (optional). Serve immediately.
Note: This will not keep long, so please make it just prior to serving and serve immediately, very cold. Don’t worry you can’t taste the avocado and spiking it can be fun too…The bourbon is totally optional, but it tastes delicious either way!
For the Peppermint Nog version, use the recipe above and simply add 1-2 tsp of pure peppermint extract and do not use the vanilla extract. You could also try using fresh mint leaves for a minty green kick and beautiful mint colour.
Garnish with a candy cane stick and crushed candy cane on top.
Recipe by Oh She Glows