EASY, 10-ingredient vegan lasagna roll ups made with a flavorful, protein-rich tofu filling rolled up into roasted eggplant slices! Healthy, rich in whole foods, and so satisfying.
Prep time30 minsCook time45 minsTotal time1 hour 15 minsINGREDIENTS
- 2 eggplants, sliced into 12 1/4-inch slices lengthwise* OR 12 lasagna noodles, boiled
(Can substitute tofu for, soaked overnight sunflower seeds, almonds, or cashews if you are trying to stay away from soy)
- 2 lemons, juiced (~1/3 cup)
- 1 12-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt + Pepper (~1/2 tsp each)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cups favorite marinara/red sauce (here’s mine!)
- Fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Salt eggplant slices on both sides and arrange in a colander in the sink to remove excess water/bitterness for 15 minutes. (If using lasagna noodles, boil, drain and set aside.)
- Rinse salted eggplant slices well and dry thoroughly between two clean absorbent towels. Lay a baking sheet on top and place something heavy on top to absorb excess moisture.
- Arrange slices on 1-2 baking sheets in an even layer and bake in a 425 oven for 13-15 minutes. Set aside and reduce heat to 375 degrees F.
- While eggplant is baking, add all tofu filling ingredients to a food process or blender and pulse to combine, scraping down sides as needed. You are looking for a semi-pureed mixture with bits of basil still intact. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt and pepper for flavor, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and lemon juice for brightness.
- Pour about 1 cup marinara sauce into an 8×8 baking dish (or similar sized dish) and reserve rest of sauce for topping / serving. Set aside.
- Scoop generous amounts (about 3 Tbsp) of ricotta filling onto each eggplant slice or lasagna noodle and roll up. Place seam side down in the sauce-lined baking dish. Continue until all filling and noodles or eggplant strips are used up. Pour more sauce down the center of the rolls for extra flavor (see photo).
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-23 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and warm and the top of the rolls are very slightly browned.
- Serve immediately with additional vegan parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Leftovers keep for a couple of days, though best when fresh.
Notes*Eggplant cutting tip: Slice off the bottom and top of eggplant and sit it upright. Then use a sharp knife to make thin slices, about 1/4 inch thick. Alternatively, use a mandolin.
*Adapted from my vegan stuffed shells. Feel free to add sautéed veggies to the filling mixture for more fiber / nutrients. My favorite is sautéed zucchini.
*Tofu inspiration from Whole Foods.
*Eggplant inspiration from Food Network.Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 roll up Calories: 155 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 1.5g Carbohydrates: 17.4g Sugar: 8.8gSodium: 314mg Fiber: 6.1g Protein: 6g
Recipe by Minimalist Baker